Man recovering after goring on Wichita Mountains Wildlife Refuge
A 75-year old man is recovering after being gored by a longhorn over the weekend.
Wichita Mountain Wildlife Refuge officials say the man was out listening to Elk bugling when he got too close to a longhorn.
Refuge officials urge the public to heed the warning signs around the refuge and listen to guidance given by staff.
Free range longhorn and bison are dangerous.
Officials say visitors to the refuge must be aware of their surroundings and keep a safe distance away, when observing wildlife. They want to remind the public about the rule of thumb, which is that if you can’t cover up the entire animal with your thumb outstretched at arm’s length, then you are too close.